The Farmers Associations were instrumental to the formation of Tamirabarani River Protection Movement. Their cooperation and collaboration with other like-minded NGOs and Civil society organizations have popularized the movement and it remains very active and alive. The following are the major activities executed by the movement during the reporting year.
- The Press club of Tirunelveli District with the support of TSSS and other Non-Government Organizations organized an awareness meeting on 11th July 2016 at Palayamkottai for spreading awareness to protect the river Thamirabharani and the interests of the prople who depend on the river for their livelihood and very existence.
- The students of Magdeline School, Palayamkottai and JeyandraSaraswathi Swamy school at Thalaiyuthu were awakened about the protection of river Thamirabharani on 4th August 2016.
- Fr.F.X.Rajesh, the Assistant Director of TSSS and Fr.Antony Cruz , the Secretary of Thamirabharani River Protection Movement submitted a petition on 16th November 2016 to the District Collector of Tirunelveli for taking measures such as removing thorn bushes infested on the banks of river, removal of encroachments inside the river, removal of brick-kilns functioning within the river and to protect the river from the infestation of various watery plants etc.
- TSSS staff and federation leaders participate in the planning meetings and other meetings jointly organized with other like-minded Non-Government organizations and forums.
- The Federation leaders and members of Ambasamuthiram people’s federations numbering 370 people involved in cleaning the river Thamirabharani on 3rd December 2016 at Mukoodal.